Coming Up! 2013 Ohio Natural History Conference

It's now February, and that means it's almost time for the Ohio Natural History Conference! I've attended the conference since 2009 (with the exception of 2011) and it's always an event I look forward to every year. Last year in particular was a great year, as the theme for the conference was citizen science. There were many great speakers talking about their projects, and I presented two posters. I wrote about my experience in a post last year and also live-tweeted all the talks (except for a few that I missed.)

The conference is a wonderful opportunity for anyone interested in natural history in Ohio to learn about research going on in the state and is great for networking. On top of that, there are booths set up where you can get great deals on books and other things. I won a silent auction last year and picked up a great book on weeds for $6!

You can register for the conference here for an early-bird rate of just $20 if you register by February 10. After that, registration increases by $5. It's a stellar deal no matter when you register. This year's theme is "Natural History in the 21st Century and Beyond" and the keynote speaker is Scott Loarie of Stanford University, the co-creator of iNaturalist. Other speakers will talk about the use of apps, natural history museums in the 21st century, using GIS for conservation, and other topics. In addition to the speakers, there will also be many poster presentations covering even more areas.

In summary, the conference is going to be a blast and you should try to be there. If you can't be there, you can follow me on Twitter as I live-tweet the event. I will be tweeting a lot, if last year is any indication.

If you do show up, come say hello! If you don't know what I look like, here's a picture for reference.

  Photo by Rachel Shoop.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Hard to be a Hornworm

A Portfolio of Historical Insects

The Amber Flame Tree